Research Experience for Undergraduates Program
June 10, 2024 @ 8:00 am - July 31, 2024 @ 5:00 pm
The Research Experience for Undergraduates (REU) program provides opportunities for future STEM teachers to engage in a research project in the plant, soil, and environmental sciences by providing them with a hands-on research experience alongside an Iowa State University faculty member and their research team.
The Office of Biotechnology coordinates with faculty members from all across campus to offer a vast array of research opportunities for teachers in engineering, technology, mathematics, life sciences, chemistry, and many others. Each partnership aims to build and sustain a community of learners. Participants will frequently interact with other Office of Biotechnology program participants, offering a collaborative experience that will grow teachers’ expertise in a variety of areas.
- Engage in cutting-edge research under the guidance of faculty mentor for 32 hours per week for eight weeks
- Develop strong relationships with researchers and their teams from Iowa State University
- Attend weekly laboratory meetings with the research team
- Spend one day per week focusing solely on their professional learning with other REU and RET program colleagues
- Produce a lesson or unit that will help translate summer learning into activities for use in the classroom
Date: Monday, June 10 – Wednesday, July 31, 2024
Time: 8:00 AM – 5:00 PM
Credit offered: Yes
Stipend offered: $3,500
Travel & Mileage Stipend Available
On-Campus housing provided, if needed
Food/Meal plan provided
All necessary materials for research and professional learning
Cohort activities and weekly seminars
REU Application Form: 2024 REU Application Form
For additional information, please contact the Office of Biotechnology using the Contact Us form.