RET for Educators
Inspiring students to learn more about science, math and engineering
Research Experiences for Teachers (RET) provides K-12 teachers with research experiences and ongoing relationships with career scientists, enabling them to share the latest developments in STEM fields with students and inspire their students to learn more about science, math, and engineering and their related career paths. Application by teams of STEM teachers is also encouraged.
Program dates: June 19 – July 31, 2024
The Office of Biotechnology coordinates with faculty members from all across campus to offer a vast array of research opportunities for teachers in engineering, technology, mathematics, life sciences, chemistry, and many others.
Teachers are encouraged to be specific about the type of research that fits their classroom best when filling out the application. See the list of past participant research projects or research project examples.
High-quality candidates will:
- Teacher Stipend: $900/week for six weeks of research experience.
- Travel allowance: $500 mileage allowance if commuting to campus and $1,000 if traveling to campus.
- Housing is provided on campus if the teacher has > than 100-mile roundtrip commute.
- Food allowance: $100.00 debit card provided to use on campus for food expenses only.
- Classroom supplies allowance to incorporate research experience into classroom and curriculum. Typically, $500.00/teacher.
- Opportunities to tour Iowa State University facilities and learn about ongoing research projects right in our backyard.
- License Renewal Credit available. Cost for credit paid by the teacher.
- All programs take place at or near the Iowa State University campus. Some meetings take place via zoom or other online platforms.
- Opportunities may exist for post-program learning and involvment throughout the school year.
- Teachers also are required to attend two paid virtual learning days scheduled for Saturdays in November and February.
Want to know more?
To learn more about Biotechnology Outreach Education Center at Iowa State contact us today!
Office of Biotechnology
1210 Molecular Biology Building
Iowa State University, Ames, IA 50011-3260