REU for Pre-service STEM Teachers
Inspiring students to learn more about science, math and engineering
This summer, we will be accepting REU candidates who will work alongside Iowa State University professors and their teams to gain research experience in the plant, soil, and environmental sciences.
PROGRAM DATES: JUNE 10 – JULY 31, 2024
Who is this opportunity for?
The Office of Biotechnology coordinates with faculty members from all across campus to offer a vast array of research opportunities for teachers in engineering, technology, mathematics, life sciences, chemistry, and many others.
Each partnership aims to build and sustain a community of learners. Participants will frequently interact with other Office of Biotechnology program participants, offering a collaborative experience that will grow teachers’ expertise in a variety of areas.
Dates of REU Program
June 10 – July 31, 2024
Following the summer research experience, undergrads will meet biweekly, virtually, during the subsequent academic year in a mentoring relationship with the REU Program Coordinator.
There will be a full day of virtual learning on Saturdays in November and February, and optional social gatherings throughout the academic year.
A normal week includes:
- Four days (32 hours) of field and lab research.
- One day of professional development with master teachers.
Products produced at the end of the program:
- Research poster.
- Lesson or a plan to use summer learning in the future.
- Final oral presentation of learning and end of summer via zoom.
Future opportunities available:
- Participate in Iowa Farm Progress Show, Boone, IA – late August
- Present poster at RegenPGC annual meeting, Ames, IA – mid-October
- Research could continue following summer if desired by the mentee and REU
- Must be committed to a K-12 STEM education program.
- Posses one or more years of education coursework.
- Will commit to the entire length of the program.
- Applications must be submitted by March 1, 2024.
Stipend and benefits provided
develop “teacher-scholars” — teachers and prospective teachers who experience scholarship in STEM teaching fields in a setting that emphasizes the interconnections among research, theory, and applications and who develop the mental habits of a scientific thinker
create a research poster based on the lab research
maintain ongoing partnerships between university researchers and pre-service STEM teachers, with common goals
learn through mentoring by master teachers in the Research Experiences for Teachers (RET) program, as well as program coordinators.
Want to know more?
To learn more about Biotechnology Outreach Education Center at Iowa State contact us today!
Office of Biotechnology
1210 Molecular Biology Building
Iowa State University, Ames, IA 50011-3260